About Me

I am a stay at home mom addicted to anything and everything homemade. The quality of products and taste are much better homemade. Everything is better homemade.
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fresh Smoothy with Homemade Granola and Drizzled Honey

.
.
I thought I would share one of my FAVORITE breakfast ideas.  It starts as a thick smoothie but layer after layer it becomes something so much more. 

Ingredients

Fresh or frozen fruit of your choice
Milk or I used coconut milk
Greek yogurt - A fantastic homemade Greek yogurt tutorial to follow soon!
Raw local honey
Chopped nuts of your choice (I used almonds, walnuts, and raw cacao beans)
Unsweetened shredded coconut
Wheat germ
Homemade granola
Sliced fresh fruit to top



 OK, let's get started!

Probably one of the best investments I have made would be my Vita Mix.  It is not your ordinary mixer, it plows through just about anything you can throw at it!

So start by adding fruit, yogurt, wheat germ, milk and ice.  Today I was making enough for my whole family but normally I just guess on the amounts and have yet to mess it up. 

Turn that baby on!! The Vita Mix has a plunger that can help move everything to the blade while it is mixing but if your mixer does not have that feature just turn it off and stir a few times.  Don't forget you want this smoothie thick!
 While it is mixing I get everything else ready.

 This is another great kitchen tool that I use all the time!  The Pamper Chef chopper. LOVE it!

The dark black ones are my Raw cacao beans  that are really rich in antioxidants, flavonoids, magnesium, iron and fiber. 
Once your thick smoothie is mixed up and everything is chopped then you are ready to layer.  I really do not think the order matters but here is how I do it.
Put a big dollop of smoothie in your bowl, cover with homemade granola, sliced fruit of your choice, sprinkle nuts and shredded coconut, and then drizzle with lots of honey.  This breakfast is healthy, filling and high in protein.  Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment